Saturday, September 6, 2008

Is Eldarin the New Rouge?

I've seen it in a couple of places on the web now, and even had a guy pronounce it that way at me in a 3e/4e debate in a game store. It shouldn't bug me as much as rogue/rouge that a made-up word like eladrin is being butchered into eldarin all over the web, but it kinda does.

It's eladrin, people. Say it with me: Ell-add-rin. Eladrin is 4e for high/gray elves. Eldarin is a branch of Tolkien elvish.

I feel a 4e character coming on...

The Eldarin Rouge
Male Eladrin Rogue
Level 1 Good

Strength12+1Armor Class15
Constitution8-1Fortitude11
Dexterity16+3Reflex15
Intelligence13+1Will14
Wisdom14+2Initiative+3
Charisma16+3Speed6

Hit Points20Healing Surge Hit Points Healed5Second Wind
Bloodied10Healing Surges/Day5

Race and Class Features
Eladrin Will, Fey Origin, Trance, Fey Step, Low-light Vision, First Strike, Artful Dodger, Rogue Weapon Talent, +2d6 Sneak Attack

Feats
Backstabber

Trained Skills
Acrobatics, Bluff, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

Exploits
At-will: Deft Strike, Sly Flourish
Encounter: Positioning Strike
Daily: Easy Target

Equipment
Leather armor, sling, short sword, thieves' tools, red cloak

Languages
Common, Eldarin

Ugh, formatting that was a pain. I think I'll stick to powers and monsters from now on...

6 comments:

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

I think the rouge should join the laser cleric and the pretty paladin as the charisma rogue build. Rouges are just so dapper. :)

Anonymous said...

I plead guilty to this one :D

I just prefer the word "Eldarin". It runs off the tongue more smoothly and.... well.... sounds more Elven.

"Eladrin" sounds more Spanish; it's like you're saying El Adrin. There's a glottal stop hiding in there I don't like.

Heck, I didn't even notice it wasn't Eldarin until you pointed it out :)

Gregor LeBlaque said...

Y'know, I was kinda thinking of my Eldarin Rouge up there as sort of a red Zorro with pointy ears. Perhaps he needs to be...

El Adrin, the Eldarin Rouge!

Anonymous said...

Works for me :D

All hail El Adrin, champoin of bad spellars everywere!

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to get used to them not just being elves anymore ;)

Gregor LeBlaque said...

Truthfully, I've thought of the 4e eladrin and elves as high elves and wood elves since I first read the book.

It's all just flavor anyway. You could even make it a racial or language thing in your campaign: eladrin would be the elvish word for the race, the humans and halflings call them high elves, and the dwarves call them pointy-eared fairies or something.