Thursday, September 4, 2008

Review: 4e DM screen

I had heard good things about the D&D 4th edition DM screen so I picked one up before the game last weekend.

I love it. I didn't have to reference it once, and I still love it. I don't care if I never have to reference it, I love it anyway. I love its shiny surface and its solid construction.

The construction on this thing is the second best I've ever seen, topped only by a generic one I can't find online at the moment (a big silver thing you could slide whatever printouts you wanted into) that I believe costs twice as much. The main thing, for me, is that it stomps my 3e screen and my old AD&D screen into the dirt. The 3e screen, even though it's also four panels in one piece, is toilet-paper-thin compared to the 4e beast. The AD&D screen was not as thick (though also not as flimsy as the 3e screen), but was two two-panel pieces that I was always clipping together with something or another.

I just wanted to say that, even though it was really terse. Now I want to go finish watching Heroes Season 2 and read War and XPs, two things which might have something to do with the terseness.

4 comments:

QuinnTheRanger said...

I think the generic screen you're talking about is the Masterscreen Quad Customizable DM Screen from Citizen Games. Unfortunately CG has gone out of business so you can only find them in larger gaming stores with older stock.

I liked the 4th Edition DM screen as well, though I still wish I could get my hands on an Ultimate DM Screen of Dooooom...

Gregor LeBlaque said...

I knew when I wrote the post that if I had ever laid hands on an Ultimate DM Screen of Dooooom I would have to call the 4e screen's construction the third best I'd seen.

Anonymous said...

You're probably thinking of the Hammerdog Customizable GM Screen which is also reviewed on the site here: http://gamerbling.wordpress.com/gm-tools/customizable-game-screen/

Gregor LeBlaque said...

Welcome to my little blog, Gamer Bling!

Actually, I'm probably thinking of the screen quinntheranger mentioned, but he has the advantage of being the guy who owns the screen I'm thinking of.

However, since he says Citizen Games has gone out of business, I might have to look up the Hammerdog screen...