Friday, September 19, 2008

Let Me Tell You About How We're Changing Characters

Wednesday night, right after I wrote up the party roster, Jen decided the halfling wizard just wasn't working for her. She still wanted to play a halfling, but she wanted it to be a rogue. I bowed out of the rogue position for three reasons:
  1. I want Jen to play what she wants to play so she'll be happy.
  2. Recycling the already fairly lousy name "Tsoen-tso" had kind of poisoned my rogue character for me.
  3. I expect the githyanki warlord to use telekinetic leap on the rogue more than anyone else, and flinging a halfling over our heads into the thick of battle is way funnier than flinging a half-elf.
I was now left to fill the sole wizard position. Our group has already seen a tiefling wizard, a dwarf wizard, and a short-lived eladrin wizard. I wanted a control wizard and I already have a non-PHB-race character, so I looked for a PHB race with a wisdom bonus. Since we've had a dwarf, that left elf. I multiclassed into ranger to get a little striker-ness and because that's the class elves are best suited to.

So here's what the party is looking like at the moment:
Jason
  • Dragonborn Cleric (Battle) - Inhamut Baltphrin
  • Drow Fey-Pact Warlock - Adincari Qiliir
Me
  • Elf Wizard/Ranger - V
  • Githyanki Warlord (Tactical) - Kain Gaa'zaith
Jen
  • (Male!) Halfling Rogue - Hobb Knobbytoes
  • Minotaur Fighter - Revis Marun
I might be changing the /Ranger part of my wizard, though. After seeing how the character came out I think there's probably a better way to spend my feat. I couldn't really buy a high enough dexterity score to be very impressive with the longbow, and being a ranger doesn't make me any better with it than being an elf does. All I got was the quarry thing once per encounter. I was hoping for nimble strike, but ranger multiclassing doesn't get you a power straight off like warlock multiclassing does. I'll still carry the bow since I'm not taking magic missile and I want to have a ranged basic attack for later when the warlord can give free basic attacks.

2 comments:

rev said...

You're not fooling anyone...

We all know V's real name is Elrond...

Gregor LeBlaque said...

It must be a slow night on the RPG bloggers network if anyone is reading my not-even-really-a-campaign-log-yet posts. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just surprised.

Truthfully, my first jab at a name was something like Valerian, but it just didn't sit quite right. I shortened it to the working name of V and then couldn't bring myself to fill in the gender box on the character sheet. Jen has already drawn me a pretty androgynous character sketch...